This season, the Pinckney Pirate Varsity Hockey team, has been focusing on supporting and giving back to the community. During Saturday’s game, they chose to honor military personnel. The game opened with the local boy scouts standing in formation while holding the Unites States flag, Sophmore Annabelle Haberkorn singing the National Anthem, and the Pirates lined up adorned in military jerseys to give tribute and a special thanks to the Pirate hockey alumni who battled on the ice and then went on to serve our country.
Featured alumni included:
Mitchell Bona (2010-2012) Army Rangers
Kahlin Dawson (2002-2005) Air Force
Kenny Grundy (2010-2012) Army 82nd Air Borne
Alex Heath (2015-2018) Marines
Mike Kroll (1999-2003) Army
Andrew Tamer (2004-2007) Army Reserves
After the special opening ceremony, the team went on to defeat Walled Lake Western by a score of 9 – 1. The teams met earlier in the season with the Warriors topping the Pirates, 5 to 4 in over time. The Pirates were ready this time. Coach Grundy said, “We had four freshman who stepped up and played their hearts out for us. I could not be prouder of these players.”
- Sebastian Smith had an awesome game – 4 goals and 4 Assists for a total of 8 points
- Neil Adams – 1 goal and 1 assist.
- Nick Walling scored he’s first goal as a High School Hockey player and also had 2 assists
- Austin Selmi – 1 goal and 1 Assist.
- Freshman Jacob Meade scored he’s first High School goal and 1 assist
- Freshman Bennett Sheppard – 1 goal and 1 assist
- Tyler Horvath – 2 Assists
- Jesse Opsahl – 1 Assist
- Freshman Max Lederer had his first win in goal